Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Week 18: Cheese, tuna and raisin bran flakes


So November 26 was the first day I got to drive here in the mission. We went on exchanges and I got to drive back to Chamberlain from Winner South Dakota. I was on exchanges with Elder Purser. We saw two deer in our driveway as I was pulling back up, but I was driving and didn't have my camera with me.
In the morning we cut potatoes into quarters for the Catholic Church's Thanksgiving dinner. Brother Guest that night had a very funny comparison for the Book of Mormon. He said it is like reading rainbow. "It's in the good book" "It's Book of Mormon" We got a laugh out of that one.
For Thanksgiving we went to Jerry's house and met his family. We also served at the Catholic Church. Ate there and then ate at the Guests. It was the most I've eaten in one day on the mission. Had dinner the next day at the Barth's and also at the community chili feed where we helped serve chili and also got to watch the parade of lights which was a bunch of floats covered in Christmas lights.

On the 1st we taught the lesson on meekness in Sunday school. Jerry was at Sacrament meeting again. To our surprise, the Barth's invited us over for dinner again! I guess they had to do something with all that leftover food.
So now the reason for no letter last week, On Monday we travelled to Rapid City for Zone Conferences. I ironed my shirt for the first time and did a pretty good job. I didn't burn anything. We stopped in Wall, SD at the famous Wall Drug store to get a homemade doughnut. It is like a giant Smith and Edwards. We went into Cabellas to see if Elder Walker, an Elder in Miller South Dakota who I came out with, could return some gloves.

On Tuesday it snowed heavily. It was 60 degrees and nice on Monday, but overnight it was 8" of snow and very windy. We had to stay another night because it was dark after zone conferences ended and interviews were over. Played some basketball game called 7 in a line where you make it or lose a point.
Back to the wind, we came out of Sam's Club with our groceries and it took 5 minutes in the wind combined with the humidity in the air to make my hands feel like someone had hammered on them! It was unlike anything I have ever experienced. The wind here is very cold because it blows in from Canada.

Thursday was the first real cold working day, it dropped to 1 degree not including wind chill. The Missouri River has frozen over completely with no holes like in the Snake River. It looks very beautiful. I guess in a week it will be solid enough for ice fishing. I've started eating a more healthy breakfast which consists of granola and Greek honey flavored yogurt. The coldest we have measured was in the evening on Friday. It was -8 degrees without wind chill.

Brother Guest has dropped from 25 cigarettes per day to 5. That was the first day he tried as well so it was a great improvement! We had the ward Christmas party on Saturday night. I received from a white elephant gift exchange tissues and an alien space hat that I'll never be able to wear around. Elder Jacobs got some permithrin (?spelling?). (I actually don't know if that's what it is. all we know is that it is a fruit). I gave some sunscreen as a present because it was very funny and it was Elder Paskett's which he had left behind and Elder Jacobs gave a Christmas tie.

Sunday's Christmas devotional was very inspirational. We will us it in teaching our investigators and also as a tracing approach. This is so that people will learn to trust us as representatives of Jesus Christ. President Anderson gave us the advice to go around doing so and also talking about Christmas traditions and what Christmas means to us. Also made some casserole, I wanted to eat something homemade and use macaroni and cheese at the same time. I came up with Tomato soup, macaroni and cheese, tuna (hamburger would have been better), raisin bran flakes, and cheese. It was surprisingly good. It was even better when heated up the next day.

Well I love you all very much.

Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment