Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week 22: The wind chill got to -60 degrees!



The day in Pierre consisted of bowling with the Zone leaders Elder Slater and Elder Goodwin and also the Sister missionaries. We got an oil change in the car and ate at Subway.
On New Years' Eve nothing changed really. We were still out working until 9 and then we were in bed by 10:30. We were so tired it wouldn't have been possible to stay up even if we had wanted to.

We helped at the senior citizens' center this week moving furniture out of the building in order for a remodeling crew to be able to change the old building into a more modern one. We also had a wonderful lesson with Jerry on tithing. I feared this lesson since the time that we met Jerry and he started progressing. I was afraid it would push him away from the Gospel, but it actually has strengthened his faith. He will live the law of tithing.
We finally were able to get back out to the reservation on Saturday. It had been over a month since we had gone and I was very excited to go. We ran into a drunken family. One person came out and started talking with us and his friend pulled him back inside saying, "Don't listen to him. He just tore up a Bible just so he could have a cigarette. Get back inside here it’s too cold outside." The door was then shut. They were both very drunk to the point of swaying. Another house was great. We met Enore who went to BYU-Provo for school. She was involved in Church activities for a while, but never was baptized.

Sunday was very interesting. Church was cancelled due to cold weather. We had to stay inside all day because the wind chill got to -60 degrees! It was a first for me anywhere. I made some homemade bread for the first time ever and it turned out all right, but I don't think I let it rise long enough. A lot of the day was spent reading Our Search for Happiness, the Book of Mormon, and Jesus the Christ. All of these books are very good.

Today has gotten worse with the wind chill, but that's okay because its preparation day and most of what we do is inside anyway. We have a dinner appointment with the Guests that will help us stay productive in this weather.

I love each of you so much. Thanks for all you do for me and I am grateful for the blessings of the Lord in my life. I know he can bless yours as well.
Elder Davis

 

No comments:

Post a Comment