Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Week 29:The power of fasting


Hello again.  I'll start off this week with a humorous example of why we don't just let cars warm up while we aren't there.  The keys got locked in the car while they were in the ignition because we bumped the lock button as we were getting out very briefly to run upstairs to our apartment.  We won't do that again.  The result was a sheriff getting us back into the car by rolling down the windows.  "Of course" to quote Elder Smith, "the one time this happens to me it has to be on our mission."  We were okay though and it didn't cost anything, the perks of being in a small community.

There is something funny that happens when you switch an area.  Elder Slater described it to me as Missionary Veil.  I've started to forget street names in Chamberlain even though I spent 6 months walking them.  It is driving me crazy to try to remember one of them, but I can't so I took it as a sign from Heavenly Father to move on from Chamberlain and focus my work here in Bagley.  As I've done so, a lot more has been accomplished and I feel a lot better about the people here. Charity is being developed as I diligently serve the Branch members here.

I learned this week the power of fasting.  All the days in my mission that have been the best in terms of spiritual lessons, help with adversity, or just finding people to teach have been when I was fasting.  The Lord really does help people who fast recognize answers to their prayers more and also it shows the Lord our love for Him.  I am grateful for a loving Father in Heaven.   As I taught while fasting this week, I once again felt the spirit move through me to become His lesson, not Elder Davis's lessons.  Because of this my understanding was enlightened and I felt the truths of what I was teaching as I testified.  If you ever have doubts about a testimony, bear it.  I know that as you do so you will feel the power behind what you are saying and the Holy Ghost will confirm to you what you have believed all along even if it is lying dormant within you.  Your testimony will be strengthened.   So I ask this question in preparation for Fast and Testimony Meeting next Sunday.  Will you bear your testimony of something in the Gospel on Fast Sunday?  I promise that if you do, faith will be strengthened and you will feel the love of God in your life.

On Friday before district meeting I got my hair cut.  I had a great conversation about the Book of Mormon with the hair stylist in Walmart in Bemidji after she asked "What's the occasion" referring to our clothes.  It was spiritually edifying and hopefully perked some interest.

Saturday was spent all day in serving others.  It was exhausting.  And Sunday was spent all day studying as Elder Smith was recovering from a 24 hour bug.  He's okay now though.  So I finished the Book of Mormon for the second time and it was a very spiritual read this time as I took the time to slowly study, ponder, and learn from its precepts.

I love each and every one of you and am grateful to be serving the Lord here in Bagley.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment