Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 37: She is waiting for the long awaited time "for the restoration of all things".


We finally got around to bowling on P-day. I got an 86 and then I got a 113 in the 9th frame before our time ran out which was a little disappointing because I figure on average I would have gotten about a 125 or so the highest score I have ever gotten in bowling. (No we weren't using the bumpers). Elder Walker had the idea of putting them up and seeing who could get the lowest score, but that didn't happen because nobody Else wanted to do it.

We went on Exchanges Monday night until Tuesday night. I was with Elder Walker and Elder Smith was with Elder White in Bagley. Bemidji is very beautiful. We missed the blood red moon though which was a little disappointing until I learned that it appeared at 2 in the morning. I guess I value sleep more than I value seeing the moon. I might have stayed up to see it or set an alarm would have been better if I knew exactly when it was going to be, but I didn't because of course we don't get to watch the news.

We watched a short 3 minute video this week at easter.mormon.org. It was called because of him. It was really good and we based our lessons of the week off of it. You should watch it if you haven't already even though Easter is already over. But it is still good to reflect on our savior Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for us. We had a great time on the exchange doing what is commonly known, at least to Elder Walker and me, as buzzer tracking. We came to an apartment complex, rang the buzzer for specific rooms and asked if they wanted to hear an Easter message. It resulted in us getting in with Nancy. She had just suffered a heart attack earlier in the month and her daughter was in the hospital. She said she had been praying all day. We said we'd be praying for her and her daughter Dawn. We had a great lesson that resulted in her wanting to learn more. We left her with a passage from the Book of Mormon. Alma 7: 11-13 to help her find peace in times of affliction and committed her to pray to know how much God loves her. It was probably the best lesson I've had on my mission so far because it focused directly on the savior and we were the answer to her prayer.

While we were also finding Less Active Members across Bemidji, I saw something I'd never seen before, a gigantic Grey Squirrel. They were huge and looked like a small cat. I was surprised and a little impressed.

We tracked in Thief River this week again. We ran into a lady who looked like she was 15. Both Elder Smith and I had the thought to ask her if her parents were home. She gave us a look and said, "I'm actually offended by that. I'm the adult in this household and then after about 5 seconds of awkward silence she shut the door. Elder Smith just couldn't stop laughing at that one.

We also tracked into a Messianic Jew. We spent 40 minutes on her doorstep with her telling us her life story and how Yeshua or Jesus had changed her and led her to be this denomination. She didn't leave much room for discussing the Gospel, but there is a lot of potential because she is waiting for the long awaited time "for the restoration of all things". We wanted to say it had already happened and was still happening, but it didn't work out.

So we had a dinner appointment with the Crepeau family. Brother Crepeau is a big fisherman and gave us fish burgers to eat with Walleye. It was amazing. Probably the best fish that I have ever had. It is supposedly a great delicacy here and people pay almost 20 dollars a plate at restaurants for it. We got a whole lot for free. He talked to us about his fishing trips in Lake of the Woods. It is a huge lake that is in Northern Minnesota and Canada. It was estimated to have 900000 acres of water. It looked like an ocean in the pictures.

Mia's Baptism was the highlight of the week. President Sparhawk gave a talk on Baptism. Mia was baptized by Elder Smith and then I gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. The spirit was there very strongly. It was Clearbrook's first convert baptism in over 12 years. Also, it was probably according to President Niswander Clearbrook's first baptism brought in by the missionaries. That was very exciting and has seemed to boost the member's attitudes towards missionary work. I am excited for the future here in Bagley and the things that will be able to be accomplished.

After the Baptism we helped Mia pull out some bushes in her front yard and cut up onions, tomatoes, and lettuce for her so she could make Indian Tacos for the potluck on Sunday. The onions were very strong and I still had the smell underneath my fingernails the next morning.

On Sunday, I made pancakes, sausage, and scrambled eggs. I think what I'm going to do now every Sunday is cook eggs and pancakes because of the extra half hour we get in the mornings because we don't exercise on Sundays. It was really good. In Church President Sparhawk asked us to bear our testimonies about Easter. We also had a lot of people who I've never met in church bringing the number of people up to 40. They all left after sacrament though. I guess it’s true here too that some people only come on Easter and on Christmas. After Church we went to Wilton to have dinner with President Niswander and his family for Easter. It was fun. We also are going to have an awesome P-day today taking pictures with Paul Bunyan and Babe his ox with a giant Book of Mormon that we made to be Paul Bunyan's Book of Mormon copy. It looks great. I'm super excited.
 
With love,

Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment