Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Week 62: It's been an amazing, exhausting, exciting, crazy, excellent, inspiring, mind boggling week.

It's been an amazing, exhausting, exciting, crazy, excellent, inspiring, mind boggling week. We have had much success and we have many unexpected results.

I am being transferred again to Casper Wyoming. I will be serving with Elder Newman in the Casper 8th ward. I am super excited for this. Elder Lete is going to be training a new missionary and Elder Rucker from Redwood Falls (Part of the same Marshall branch) will be joining them for the Transfer in a tripanionship due to the lack of available missionaries. So Elder Lete will have his hands full with three proselyting areas for one transfer, Montevideo, Redwood Falls, and Marshall. Transfers never go as expected. Just when you think you have them figured out they throw in a curve ball.

Anyway, So Monday was very exciting. We challenged Brother McDonald at Foosball. Of course we lost every time because he was professional at it. I didn't even know the ball could move as fast as he made it go. It was at the other end of the table and then suddenly like a laser it happened to be in our goal with a very load scoring noise. We picked up a few tricks from him though and occasionally we were lucky enough to actually block his shots by moving our guys back and forth. It was an experience.
On Tuesday we were inspired to go tracting in a trailer park. It went very well and we talked to many people. One of them invited us back after we were walking back to the car and his dog Zeus walked up to us and started getting excited. I love these contacting scenarios because people are actually open to hearing what we have to say. It is also a way that we can be in the right place at the right time. An account of the lesson we had for him later in the week shall be given hereafter in the letter.
On Wednesday at the food shelf we were able to have a good day of service. Later in the day we had our first Bible study course class, but no one showed up except Brother Hale so we showed him the video scripture legacy. The class succeeded though because we were able to get in with a less active member because of the poster that she made for us to advertise for the class.
Thursday was where a lot of the fun and crazy things started to happen. Elder Lete and I were driving past the fire station and saw a lot of people there. So we decided to be good missionaries and be seen in the public. It was really interesting. It was a celebration of the 195th anniversary of the Marshall fire department. So they had many fire trucks to look at and also had demonstrations of how to use a fire extinguisher and finally they set a propane tank on fire and demonstrated how they would deal with that sort of problem. It was really interesting and very neat. Later in the day we also had a cat follow us around. So we naturally had the idea to use it as a tracting approach: Is this your cat? The one door we went to with the cat ended up being the owner’s neighbor and not really liking cats so that quickly ended that idea.
We got back in with the new investigator on Friday and talked with him about the Restoration while his family also listened in. He has a lot of potential. It was great being able to testify to his family.
Sunday was great. The testimonies were very good and filled us with spiritual health. I also was grateful to bear my testimony to the branch. We also were able to have a great lesson with Brother McDonald on the 2nd coming and how keeping our covenants prepare us for the second coming. He was very involved and had many questions that Elder Lete will answer next Sunday in his meeting with him. I really liked helping the people in this area. It has been a really neat experience to see how less active members become happier as they partake of the Sacrament and return to activity. After church we also had dinner with the Hales. They fed us Korean food because Brother Hale served in Korea for his mission. It was very good. I really liked it. kim bop and tok kal bi were the things we ate. It was very spicy as in taste not hot. Curries are some of my favorite foods. Some of my cooking adventures this week: applesauce and caramel apples. I made applesauce because I found a recipe for it at the food shelf and we were at the Gregersons for their Family Home Evening where we shared a lesson with them and made caramel apples. It was really good. I really like caramel apples.
I am looking forward to the future. I am grateful for the experiences I have had that are preparing me for the future. The Lord loves each of us. I am sure that he has prepared me for what lies ahead. Today will be mostly packing and haircuts, etc. and tomorrow will be a lot of traveling. I might not even get into Wyoming until late Wednesday, but we will see. I loved serving here in Minnesota it has taught me a lot. I am also grateful for the opportunity I had to serve with Elder Lete. I have learned a lot from him as well. I continue to reiterate this simple truth: a mission has been the best thing that has ever happened to me so far. I love you all so much.

With charity,
Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment