Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 78: The spirit whispered to me "There is no use in crying over spilled milk."

We went on exchanges on Monday with Elder Ramkisoon. It was a great exchange with different focuses for each of us. I focused on improving my morning studies. I have also gotten from the exchange to be more organized in my planner and also being neater in writing my journals so I can enjoy them for years to come. I have really begun to realize the importance of my studies in the morning they are really helping to bring peace to my day and also bring me confidence in later lessons where I am able to use something I learned from my studies earlier in the day. I've noticed that when we have the spirit with us in lessons and in the planning sessions and also in the studies we have, that the lessons go smoothly because the Holy Ghost is able to draw upon the knowledge that we have treasured up already within our hearts and cause it to have great effect upon the hearts and minds of our investigators because they needed to hear that particular scripture or thought that comes. There is no greater feeling than testifying of something that earlier in the day helped you or has great meaning for you. I love my studies for this reason. I promise that each of you can have similar experiences as you ask the Lord in prayer to guide your studies of the scriptures every day by the spirit.

So this whole situation with a tri companionship was a little frustrating until the Lord taught me a very important lesson. I was doing service with the 3rd ward Elders at Joshua's Storehouse which is a local food bank. As I was doing so I was reflecting upon the situation I am in and also about the recent call I received from the mission office that they were closing down the apartment I was staying at. I was more frustrated until I looked down at my feet. On the ground there was a puddle of milk that had spilled. Instantly the spirit whispered to me "There is no use in crying over spilled milk." It was very humbling and helped me to focus on the most important things instead of things out of my control. It was an amazing gift that Heavenly Father gave to me. Since then I have found joy in every day as long as I have tried my hardest, despite much opposition and stress.
Wednesday was really weird. It was raining. In JANUARY! I don't ever remember it doing this elsewhere. So Last winter was the coldest in my life and this winter so far has been the warmest in my life, but that is just like this mission a mission of extremes. I really love it though. I continue to learn a lot every day.

Friday we helped a family move out of the 2nd ward who were heading over to Salt Lake. Later in the day we also had dinner with the Lutz family. It was great being able to see them again. They were in our area before the boundary change. They made us the famous "Brad Lutz Burgers". It included a lot of garlic and hamburger mixed with lamb. They were very delicious and very big so I was only able to eat one of them.
On Saturday morning we cleaned out the rest of the apartment to prepare it for when Elder Samson from the mission office will come and pick up the furniture. Later I went on splits with Brother Kirt Sine to teach one of our most progressing Investigators. Her name is Corrine. She is searching for meaning in her life. Her friend extended the invitation to meet with us back in October, but she rejected it until 3 weeks ago where out of the blue Corrine asked if she could still meet with us. She is friends with Sister Kiley O'neal and they both go to high school as seniors together. When we came back we asked her if she had read from the Book of Mormon and she told us that she hadn't read a lot because she was focusing on the importance of reading a little bit every day. We were shocked and very happy. Our joy was even better when she told us that she had been noticing the difference it was making in her life. She said she would eventually, given time, be baptized and also come to church.

This hymn expresses this week best
2. Service ever was their watchcry;
Love became their guiding star;
Courage, their unfailing beacon,
Radiating near and far.
Ev'ry day some burden lifted,
Ev'ry day some heart to cheer,
Ev'ry day some hope the brighter,
Blessed, honored Pioneer!
("They the Builders of the Nation" Hymn 36)


I am continually being blessed. The Lord continues to uphold and bless me. I have seen the truth of this quote that I found.
"[There is] one key for success on your mission. I’d like to talk to you about desperation.”
“When we are desperate everything changes. Our vision changes, we are suddenly able to see things we’ve never seen before, our ability to do increases. We are suddenly able to do whatever it takes. ...My dear elders and sisters, I pray that on your mission you will have many moments of complete and overwhelming and even anguishing desperation. Why? Because then, and only then, will you desperately ask, desperately seek and desperately knock. Then, and only then, will you find the courage and determination to follow through with exactness everything the Lord needs you to do in order to serve a valiant vibrant, worthy and very successful mission for Him.”
--Sister Wendy Watson Nelson


I have been experiencing that desperation, but is has helped me to become a better person and rely upon God more in my life. I am grateful for the experiences I am having. I am seeking to improve a little every day. I am continuing to change. I am truly grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord in my life. I wish these blessing upon all. I am glad I got to share these things with you.
With love,

Elder Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment