Monday, August 24, 2015

Week 108: I will always be grateful I chose to serve the Lord for these past two years.


Hey this is really weird. I never thought I would have to send the final email. It seems to be going by so fast. I look back and have learned a lot from the experiences I've had. I will always be grateful I chose to serve the Lord for these past two years. I have met a lot of people that have been a strong influence on me and have been able to have several spiritual experiences that have shaped me and molded me into a better person. I love the Lord and all he has done for me to help me become better. I am grateful for the many attributes and skills I have been able to develop over the past two years as I have served him full time. It has been a wonderful experience. It passed away "as if a dream" as Jacob in the Book of Mormon says. I have learned much about feasting upon the word of Christ. I have learned the value of a consecrated life to our savior. I have been helped group all my trials and adversities and I have been able to develop more of the things of eternity. I am so grateful for the experience of my mission. It has truly been a gift to me.

So a summary of the week’s activities: anything else that I miss and next week’s activities will have to be talked to in person. As I was sitting in sacrament meeting it was a weird thought to me that the next time I will partake of the sacrament will be in Idaho. It almost is a sense of denial. I have given myself fully to the work for these past two years and have felt that this was my life. From this experience I have gained many helpful habits. I am excited to come home and use the talents that the lord has given me to further his work back home. It also is hard to think that I am leaving because of how much this has been a blessing in my life. But the Lord has a plan for all of us and it is a plan that is perfect and extends far beyond what my expectations are. I love the lord and his work. I will continue to be an active part of his work as I am home. Thanks for all the support that I have received and all the prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

So the week went really well.
Monday: lesson with Steve. He really enjoyed the subject we shared about the Ten Commandments. We focused on the fourth commandment, keeping the Sabbath day holy. This was an obstacle we had been working in. We planned in weekly planning how to overcome it and received revelation in personal and companion study that morning as well. It was a very powerful lesson. He was able to realize keeping the Sabbath day holy and coming to church was an act of faith. We place our trust in God and not in the things if the world when we make it a point to go to church and partake of the sacrament. It is only by doing so that we are able to feel the fullness of God’s love, forgiveness of our sins, and peace from the spirit as we show God that we are willing to keep the covenants we have made with him. He committed to church and was there on Sunday. The other surprise was that the Mosbys also came to church making my final Sunday a great one with two investigators there. What made that lesson so good was we had one of Steve's good friends there. He was able to testify of his experience about keeping the Sabbath day holy. And the challenges he faces in doing so as he was investigating the church. In this instance it was the member who testified and astonished the investigator. It was the member who was able to help Steve overcome his concerns. Had we been there by ourselves, our words would have been little more than words and would not have had the impact the members testimony did.
Wednesday: taught the Ford family about the 10 commandments, showed their 8 year old daughter about the children's Book of Mormon. After we left we received a message that her daughter had been reading for an hour after we left.

Thursday was also great. We traveled to great falls in preparation for the mission tour meeting with Elder Martino. That night we went on exchanges with Elders from the Roe River Ward. It turned out to be a great night. I went with Elder Hendricks. We started out teaching a less active sister who we planned to teach the plan of salvation to. This was perfect because she had been reading in 2 Nephi 2 and had questions about Adam and Eve. It was a powerful lesson. We then went to another less active family who was mostly interested in socializing. Miracles do happen on exchanges. We got there and by the end they were both willing to study the scriptures daily and committed to do so where previously they had been a bit standoffish about it. The spirit is a powerful motivator, especially when combined with scripture.

After that lesson we had 15 minutes left and we prayed where we should go. We both felt we should visit a family. When we got there, however, things were different. Elder Hendricks felt that he should talk to a person leaning on a car. It turns out he and his friend were interested as we talked about the restoration. They felt it very strongly and were surprised by what they were feeling. They accepted a date immediately and then decided they would be at church on Sunday. It was a miracle. If we hadn't tried to see that family, we wouldn't have had that happen. The lord is mindful of his children.

Friday was great! We were able to receive a lot of helpful instruction from Elder Martino of the 70. The spirit was very strong. As we participated in the meeting, we were all edified together and learned a lot about how to get the work progressing in our areas. We also raised our monthly baptismal goals from 1 per month per companionship to 4 per month. It is definitely possible with the instruction that we received about using members to teach the lessons in the comfortable
and spirit filled setting of the member's home.

Well that was the week in a nutshell. Glad I got to write. It has been a great time to write these emails. I am excited to continue on in the next part of my life. I leave with one of my favorite scriptures.


Moroni 10:32-33
32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

With love,
Elder Jaden Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment